Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Orchids: February Orchids in 2009, 1 by RUK

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright RUK

In reply to: February Orchids in 2009

Forum: Orchids

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of February Orchids in 2009
RUK wrote:
Lee, I didn't overlook you. Thanks :-) again.

Happy, about mounting on Epiweb - I use some of the ready made baskets and I also picked up a large sheet of the stuff for mounting. I cut a suitable piece of that and tie the plant simply to it. Soak the plant well, gently shake off old medium and tie it on with whatever you have, sometimes I use phone wire, or simple strong thread or a piece of lace.I place a bit of coconut fiber over the roots so they don't get scraped by the ties and also hold a bit of moisture. Once the roots hold on and the plant starts growing into the mount, one can remove the strings.

Jeremy, your greenhouse looks like fun, so much stuff in there!! The Dendrobium is simply awesome!! So healthy!

And yes, Cattleyas don't open that fast and the flowers will take a few days to mature too. I am hoping you will post that gorgeous yellow Catt when it is fully open!
Jeremy, those Bletillas will surely come back! Around here, I will see the first little green tips around April. ( I grow them outside
against the house wall)

Lorine, your white Catt is beautiful!

Around here my Dendrobium Pixie Charm is blooming its heart out and there are lots more buds to open. I love it.
This is a hybrid of Yellow Chinsai and unicum, and Dendrobium unicum ( which looks almost the same but is more orange) is very tough to grow and flower for many people. Most of the time unicum looks like dried up sticks after the initial green growth stops and is usually reluctant to flower. Now this one grows and flowers like gangbusters without any dry period.
( I got mine from Parkside a couple of years ago)