Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM # 28, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: TEA ROOM # 28

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of TEA ROOM  # 28
77sunset wrote:
Hello everyone. It is so nice to see the wishes from our overseas friends on here. It is a terrible time . I well remember the fear of a bushfire , having been caught up inone back in the very early 50s in the same area.
It is so hard to see the death of children in these tragedies.
So many communities will be torn apart by this but others will come together even more. People are resilient and life goes on regardless . Some will move on to another place without the memories and some will stay. Our hearts are with them all .
Our fire is out, thankfully, although there was a minor flareup this morning.
Our firefighters will now be called on to go and help in other areas.
No punishment is too severe for the arsonists who deliberately cause this havoc.
Back to the garden for a time. I have nearly finished all the benches in the new shade house and once the door is done , the plants will start moving in. I just had to put one in already. So the one bromeliad is sitting on the bench by itself.
Today is quite cool so far as was yesterday. It is supposed to get warm again by the weekend. The garden is looking very bleak and I have given up even looking at parts of it. Autumn and Winter will be a time of major culls and replanting . There are a lot of plants that won't make it so I am just leaving things as they are until it rains. I look like losing a few of the hebes but will take cuttings . The plants have been burnt badly , mostly either on one side or down the middle and won't recover their shape so I will pull them out. Others I can cut back to regrow.. This is part of gardening, the good with the bad.
Thinking again of the fires, how could we complain about a few sunburnt or wet plants , when someone has lost everything ?
Better go and look in the kitchen as I'm sure there will be empty cupboards.
I hope all goes well for the firefighters today. Please look after yourselves eveyone.
I won't say have a good day but rather a safe one.
Blueberry Coffee Cake , for anyone popping in.
Jean.