Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: Where did you get your love of gardening?, 1 by ge1836

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ge1836

Subject: Where did you get your love of gardening?

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Where did you get your love of gardening?
ge1836 wrote:
My grandmother and mother loved to grow flowers and because it was WW2 we had a big Victory garden both at my grandmothers and in Ithaca in a vacant lot behind the house.
Vedgs were grown for canning and then for the big new invention the Freezer Locker .
My grandmother grew a flower garden with Regal Lilies all in a row. I remember her fretting over all the bulbletts and where they were to be planted when she divided the plants.
In early spring the farm hands would just roll over the entire flower- vedg garden area ,with the manuer spreader.
I doubt the manuer had cured more than a day.It was full of straw and weed seeds.
It was early March and there were still ice puddles on the dirt road.We were visiting for Easter Vacation.
In Ithaca we got manuer from Cornell Vet barns.
Most of our house took up the lot, houses were side by side so there were no landscaped beds. The vedg garden seemed so big when I was 7 ,I suspect it wasnt.
My mother was clever and inventive and found a small space for my first flowers.