Photo by Melody
Announcements
The Pixel County Fair is now open for entries! You have until September 11th to upload your crafts, animals and gardens HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Hey, Chantell!, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Hey, Chantell!

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hey, Chantell!
Gitagal wrote:
hart--

Thanks! I got the Cleome seeds from a neighbor several houses down. They were a pretty pink and very strong, branched plants.
Last Spring she dug up her entire strip between the sidewalk and the street and turned it into a nice, long flower bed.
I walked down and asked her if she would mind that I harvest some seeds and she said OK.

Now--I don't remember exactly when this was--but it was on the day when frost was expected that night--and here she still had 3 Hibiscus standards planted in this same curb-bed and 6 Mandevillas twining up supports on each side of her main entrance.
I strongly encouraged her to dig all those up if she wanted to save them. Later on that day, I drove by, and she had dug them all up. Must have been quite a chore as she looked to be almost a senior.....BUT--I sure saved her a lot of money! Those Hibiscus standards sold for $60 each at HD. and the Mandevillas--were $13 each!

Can Cleomes grow in part shade? You know my space is limited......
If they would be able to survive among all my Maple-root matted corner bed (my "YUK" bed), I would gladly let them colonize there....Not too many things do well there.....
That is where I put your Blue Bellflowers last summer. They did not die--so I am hoping this Summer they will be on their way. Keeping my fingers crossed.....

OK! Enough chatting.....
As always--thanks for your help. Gita

Wishing you rainbows.....This was last summer--from my front door.