Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Favorite foliage fragrances... what an addiction!!!, 1 by astcgirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright astcgirl

In reply to: Favorite foliage fragrances... what an addiction!!!

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Favorite foliage fragrances...  what an addiction!!!
astcgirl wrote:
I have a pine scented geranium that most of my friends/neighbors hate, but I love it, there's something about it that I'm forced to rub the leaves every time I pass by it. I have a couple of other scented geraniums, a few rose which are nice, I had a peppermint and then a choc peppermint that were my favorites but I lost them.

I just recently bought the Karma Sutra Mint Tree (Satureja Viminea) from Tops last month and I really do enjoy that scent...very minty, but sadly it's not handling the cold weather too well, it looks a bit shabby right now so I'm hoping it will pick up as I paid a pretty price for it. It has that peppermint bath gel smell, I love it.

I bought one of those vicks plants a while back, I love the smell of vicks but don't like the smell of the "vick's plant" it does grow well and I love the feel of the leaves so I'll keep it in my garden, but I"m not drawn to sniffing it.

Heavenscent I know what you mean about the lemon eucalyptus, I love eucalyptus, being the Aussie that I am, when I moved here I just had to have a lemon eucalyputs tree...that is one powerful scent, sadly I went on a cruise and came back and the whole thing was chewed off from the base, I guess my squirrels love it too, I remember as a child growing up, I would always chew eucalyptus leaves...weird I know. I'll have to get my hands on another one of those this year at the plant sales. I have the silver dollar eucalyptus also but it's not such a powerful scent like the lemon, the lemon almost wafts when you knock past it.

Podster, that picture you have there, it almost looks like one of the Cuban Oregano plants, I have both the plain and varigated leave forms that I love to use in cooking. But funny story, I lost all of them last year to the freeze we had but was so excited that I found one in walmart labelled "cuban oregano" I took it home and planted it. Wow, that is not the same plant, it almost smells like camphor to me, horrible smell I almost choke when I smell that thing. I guess there must be a couple of varieties, but I know for sure I"m not using it in my cooking. I have since got a couple of cuttings from my lovely neighbor that uses it in everything she cooks.

My favorite I would have to say is Lemon Verbena....I could smell that all day.

Here's a picture of my miracle berry with the Pine Geranium that I love so much.