Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 57, 1 by SusanLouise

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright SusanLouise

In reply to: DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 57

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 57
SusanLouise wrote:
Sheila,

Well, at least you didn't say I drew that on...lol
I love that pic...what are the odds that it happens...when a cat goes into chrysalis stage and doesn't quite shed it's skin/wrapper from being a cat? That black thread-like "thing" is one of it's (antennae?...it has a pair on either end when it's a cat). Initially, I got a toothpick to see if it would just "pop off"...but the entire ("mustache"...lol) became "glued" on the entire length...or maybe a better way of putting it...it became a part of the chrysalis!

I'll post a few pics in order of the Monarch emerging. You will notice that the leaf the chrysalis is on had been moved. I taped it up to the top of the bamboo trellis because we had a wind storm that bent the leaf and the chrysalis was against one of the bamboo poles. I taped the leaf up to allow the Monarch to be able to have room to emerge...

Anyhoo, here's the series of a few pics (too bad I couldn't post them on the same post)...
This pic shows the antennae is still there...