Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Heart breaking!, 1 by tessshlingg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tessshlingg

Subject: Heart breaking!

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Heart breaking!
tessshlingg wrote:
Hi all

Happy new year!

Last year I moved into a new house. Landscaping has been hard work but lots of fun, but now the plants have settled its been live or die! I had purchased a large grass tree (double) from WA. It was the son I never had. All my life I have wanted one of these black boy trees and now with my own place, I could get one. I heard a lot about these trees and thought I had done my home work well. 'they said' it could take years to die. Well I managed to kill mine in about 1 month! It was growing so well up until the start of November, then all of the tips of the leaves started to die, in the end the whole head was dead and I was going to cut it all off, when it just fell out of the tree in my hand. Its really upsetting for me as this tree was probably a few hundred years old and I managed to kill it in a month. Sadly, I am unable to dig it up to move it now as it is so big!

I also love those flax plants - the colours like Jester - sadly I have had no luck with them either. Maybe the beauties from NZ dont like the aussie sun. I have found the leaves seem to get scourched in the sun. They too also just die. I have tried planting them and giving them just a little water, also tried giving them a good watering but they all end up dead!