Communities > Forums

Image Copyright susandonb1141

In reply to: New to Forum

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of New to Forum
susandonb1141 wrote:
Great Welcomes, Folks! Thanks!

Ok, Yes, Don uses the tractors in the gardens, the one in the pic is his baby, the "other woman" to me. lol He wants to show it at fairs and says if he got the right offer he would sell it, that makes me worry about my longevity, hmmmm?

We have another David Bradley that is our work tractor, exactly like the one in the pic but not as perrty, the pic below is Don using it last weekend. Then we have a restored two wheel Bolens that is narrower in size and easier for me to handle so I use that one. We love them, our reason for getting them wasn't restoration it was desperation. Our garden slopes and we couldn't use riding tractors in it without risking rolling so we discovered the 2 wheel walk behinds.

Ok, Jay, I am very proud of myself, I have already done just about everything you reccomended. I have thought, researched (for three years now) thought some more, prayed, discussed with Don, researched and talked to friends who farmed in MN for 20 years, THEN I made my decision. First I wanted sheep, so I bought lots of books and discovered there were too many diseases and not enough income potential. Then it was goats, I hate goats milk and cheese, they smell and I am not raising them for meat. Then it was chickens. I love them and they have alot of potential and I may still get a few but they would have to be for eggs and pets cause I couldn't eat them. I don't have room for a cow, though I would love one milking cow just for me, I may still look into this, I have 2 acres remaining so that should be enough room. Could never raise beef of my own, they have too cute of a face. So I decided on pork! We were given a 300 lb pig 3 years ago (long story for another post) anyway, she was ugly, stinky and nasty tried to eat me twice, so I had no problem taking her to a processor and going back two days later for my yummy pork! I am making a 16x32 area with a shelter for 3 porkers. Either, Duroc, Hampshire or ...??? I forgot the other one. So, I am ready to be a homesteader and I love the idea of soap, never thought of that! I grow lots of lavender, wooohoooo! You guys are all great inspirations!

Sorry to be so long winded, get me talkin bout my farm and I never shut up.

Susan

This message was edited Jan 7, 2009 6:50 PM