Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Bird Watching: Looking in on my blue birds, 1 by 2dCousinDave

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 2dCousinDave

In reply to: Looking in on my blue birds

Forum: Bird Watching

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Looking in on my blue birds
2dCousinDave wrote:
Hey Linth

Thanks for the flattering comments and I did go look at the winning pic. Somehow to me it looked very "set up" with the barbed wire and everything. And I noticed the winner's name was Michael L. Smith, who lives in New Winsor, Maryland.

I was instantly struck by how much this bird looked like the famous "mad bluebird" you see everywhere on coffee cups and the like. Coincidentally, the original "mad bluebird" picture was taken in 1979 by a man also named Michael L. Smith, who also happens to live in New Winsor, Maryland. It appears to be the very same guy. I wonder if the National Wildlife Federation is aware of that.

Both birds are cute but neither look much like the bluebirds I see. Even the mad ones and even allowing for the snow. The winning entry looks more like a painting or something you've run through Photoshop, trying to make it look like the "mad bluebird."

The colors in both pics are over saturated by my taste. Of course, you don't know how far the bird was from the camera and how much light was available. It was entered in the professional category but it looks more like it was shot at close range with a P&S camera, in which case the in-camera editing might explain the saturation.

I'd like to see the original, unedited shot, or at least the EXIF information.

I am anxious to shoot more in the snow. I know it is hard but maybe I will get lucky.

I looked quickly through my files and haven't yet found anything worth showing, except one with a flake is on his back, unmelted, and this one with snowflakes on his head.

Dave

This message was edited Jan 3, 2009 5:04 PM