Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM # 22, 1 by Stake

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Stake

In reply to: TEA ROOM # 22

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of TEA  ROOM  # 22
Stake wrote:
G'Day, Chrissy 100. Yes the tree is mine but I have to share the fruit with Wattle Birds, Parrots etc. The tree is budded onto a limb of a rootstock called Hansen and another limb has a very late peach on it and another an early nectarine but the nectarine is getting shaded out. You can't really compare the Donut with an Elberta they are different types of fruit but more importantly they ripen about a month apart and both are good. While the Elberta is still a very good peach for the home garden I think a variety called "Flavorcrest" (Spelling correct US variety) is superior in taste, colour and keeping quality but don't grub out the Elberta wait for it to die of old age.
The Donut is a white fleshed dessert peach, whereas both the Elberta & Flavorcrest are multi purpose, eat as much as you can then either preserve or stew and freeze and the rest you can dry if inclined otherwise the birds can have the leftovers. If you have trouble with fruit fly the earlier variety can be an advantage because the earlier the fruit the less chance the fruit fly have to ruin the fruit.
Photo is a closer look at the Donut Peach
Regards