Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: It's the season to be jolly... so there's no... without..., 1 by goofybulb

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright goofybulb

In reply to: It's the season to be jolly... so there's no... without...

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of It's the season to be jolly... so there's no... without...
goofybulb wrote:
Hey, Carol!

I'm happy you enjoy the Solstice! After tonight, we're gonna get more and more light!

I've got two very generous boxes, and I planted everything from them:
One was full of Orchid Cactus cuttings (do they qualify for tropical). You know my 5-shelved rack? They almost filled one shelf by themselves!
The other had one goldfish plant, a St. Joseph lily, a Lily of the Nile, two small salmon-colored amaryllis bulbs and a few Gloriosa lily bulbs.

The seeds:
bay leaf, allspice and pepper (Piper nigrum) - all these I don't know if they'll like my house temps, it's about 75-85F what they wish for. In some parts of the house I have 77-80, but where the good light (and all the plants) is, I think it's less... gets warmer during the day, as the sun shines into the room for 4-5 hours.

basil, dill, lovage, savory,
freesias, rainlilies, amaryllis

I'm also in the process of ordering some African Violet leaves... I'm probably nuts! I have other things in mind too, but I need warmer weather for them.

My sister also started her tradition with her son. Actually, when we were little, we were making a few paper decorations for the tree... They made some ornaments (she'll be sending a few for us, with my Dad - he'll be coming to visit/stay with us for about a month and a half, he arrives on 29th!)