Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Bird Watching: Raising Aussie Osprey #4, 1 by MargaretK

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MargaretK

In reply to: Raising Aussie Osprey #4

Forum: Bird Watching

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Raising Aussie Osprey #4
MargaretK wrote:
I haven't seen these Ospreys with anything but fish. That isn't to say it may not happen, I just haven't seen it. Lee, I haven't seen the Ospreys snap at the WWT's or react with any aggression. On the contrary, the Ospreys act defensively and the open beak shots I've got is them sounding off in annoyance. Good analogy about them being like mosquitoes, cpartschick.

OP, I don't know what the life span is, but if I get a grant to study them, believe me, you'll be the first to know. Thanks for the information. Yesterday I was at the site from 3pm until after 7pm and the chick didn't get anything to eat. The male was in his usual tree having a lovely feed of fish and the chick was calling plaintively. Mum just stood on the right hand branch, not scolding the male to bring the food to the nest. I got the impression that it was being kept hungry for a purpose.

Mrs Ed, I can say "early retirement" very loudly. I wish.

Today the chick had only one real burst of wing exercise. I was ill prepared for the action, watching the water skiers below having a ball. However, it really lifted off the floor of the nest.