Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: It's the season to be jolly... so there's no... without..., 1 by goofybulb

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright goofybulb

Subject: It's the season to be jolly... so there's no... without...

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of It's the season to be jolly... so there's no... without...
goofybulb wrote:
I thought we might get a few good memories, and even laughs or a nostalgic tear rolling down the cheek, while learning about the unusual things that complete our holiday dreams. Share with me, if you wish, things that make your holidays unique, or tell about local traditions, lesser known than the Macy's parade...

So, I'll start!

For me it's Christmas. And there's no Christmas without... oranges, tangerines, even grapefruits. This has nothing to do with the traditional fruit given to carolers; those are apples and walnuts (in the times before refrigerators and forced crops and imports, these were about the only fruit that would store well). Let's say, this is my family tradition, since we were little (my sister and I). There is a wonderful combination, the smell of the tree and the scent of a freshly peeled citrus fruit!

I will try, until New Year, to write a bit every day. Different countries, and even different zones in a country, have different ways of preparing for the holidays. I'll tell you about Saint Nicholas (which, to the Romanian kids, is somebody else than Santa Claus), about Santa Claus and the Christmas tree, the foods (and drinks) and the cookies, the carolers and their gifts, well, all the nice things that make the winter the favorite season for the ageless child.

I hope you'll get to know me better! Happy Holidays!
Alexandra