Photo by Melody

Tropical Zone Gardening: Hi, all. Been gone, what's the buzz? tell me what's a happen, 1 by LApalms

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LApalms

In reply to: Hi, all. Been gone, what's the buzz? tell me what's a happen

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hi, all. Been gone, what's the buzz? tell me what's a happen
LApalms wrote:
WE GOT R A I N !!!! Malamola is right, as it cools we gennerally congregate indoors more, being exposed to other little virus'. One thing to correct, c VERY common fallacy, coastal So Cal is NOT temperate climate, Oregon is, South Carolina is. We are tottally sub-tropical (that is "dry-summer subtropical AKA Mediteranean). Meteorlogically speaking. Believe me 1st, it's obvious when your lowest temp in 10 years is 39.7 and that was the one night in 3,650 nights below 42. 2nd, 2 years of college meteorology. People that live here don't even know that and perpetuate the temperate deal. The most amazing thing is people (even here call L.A. basin a desert! WRONG). All they have to do is drive over the mountains and see the DRAMATIC difference of the desert, creosote bush, ocotillo, numerous cacti, totally different. Lot's of blind people in the world. We average 15" of rain a year. We got 40" in 2004 (OK, 39.9" downtown). Close but no cigar. also the humidity averages 70%. According to the annual meteorlogical conference, a prominent climatologist (from UC Berkely) stated that if coastal So Cal was a desert it would be the wettest desert in the world. A desert is a place that receives 5" to 10" maximum a year (acording to various opinions). Average humidity would be 10-30%. Trick question for all- what is the biggest desert in the world? answer later........ Molamola and Lou, I think I'm in love. Forgive me for the localized digression, but I find it fun and educational. Probably like you all, I want to know everything. I want to know about all your climates and those little micro climates. I hold my head in shame as I didn't take a picture, rather than stole it. I shall post anothe stolen pic (public pic of course, not copywrited) maybe Laguna beach? Paradise from heaven.
So gang, we get the todays question the largets desert in the world........... Antartica! suprise. Less than 5-10" of precip and 0% humidity which of course liquid moisture is unavalable in temps below freezing.The films of the snow blowing are almost all ground ice picked up by 75mph winds. Sure the ice pack is deep, that's millions of years of SMALL amounts of snow precip. I hope I didn't bore any ony, bless you all!