Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: Guardening in Very Hot Climate, 1 by Medellin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Medellin

Subject: Guardening in Very Hot Climate

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Guardening in Very Hot Climate
Medellin wrote:
Hello, I recently purchased a property in an area of Colombia where it is hot (high 80s to low 90s) and very very sunny all year round. There is rain most of the year but I am told also a drier season for a couple of months.

My property was cut out of the side of a mountain, and right now is basically just mud. I will start construction of my house in probably about 6 months. In the mean time I want to start working on the garden and landscaping. I have about 30,000 square feet to work with.

I know almost nothing about starting a tropical garden. I need to find some sort of guide, online resource or book that can help me get started. I am also planning on building some sort greenhouse to grow flowers. Most greenhouses I see here are essentially just a roof made out of fine netting to block the intensity of the sunlight.

Can someone please direct me to where I can find some information to get this project rolling? Most of the information I am finding on the Internet about tropical gardening is focused on gardens that are not actually in a tropical climate. As for seeking out local help, well the majority of the people here just plant the same plants without what I would consider a whole lot of thought.

Thanks.