Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: HELP! Cannas too big to get out of pots

Forum: Cannas

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of HELP! Cannas too big to get out of pots
DonnaMack wrote:
Good morning!

Joy, the canna was actually a gift from Kim (Lily Love) along with a brug (I could figure out what to do with that). Theoretically it was a trade (I sent her a Lillium Silk Road) but it felt like a gift to me. Both were actually spectacular. Kim, as you may have noticed, has a billion beautiful brugs and cannas. She showed me the pics of cannas in her garden, but I don't think she actually knows the name. I was stunned at the size of it (made a big old statement here in the Midwest!!!). Most people here, if they grow them, prefer the kind that are about two feet tall. I LOVE the leaves.

And note, below, how small they were (and note the snow outside!!)

Lilli, I like your idea of a soft container inside. We ended up taking a shovel and jamming it down the middle. It was in a wonderful ceramic pot - wonderful except that it is wider in the middle than the top. The corms were packed against the sides.

And Steve (hi again!) it's good to know I can beat them up a bit, since I'll need to separate them. We have to put them in pots, because the beds are filled with roses, peonies, grasses, shrubs and what have you. And I'll make sure I take it easy on the love I give them, since, based on the results, it was too much!

Thank you all - you're the best!

Donna