Grass and Bamboo: Happiness is so BLUE culms, 1 by Kell

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Kell

In reply to: Happiness is so BLUE culms

Forum: Grass and Bamboo

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Happiness is so BLUE culms
Kell wrote:
Janet, this one is fairly common around here and is sold in many nurseries. There are a few online bamboo nurseries to order it from I am sure. I have been to Bamboo Sourcery where Liz got hers and it seemed to be a good one. http://bamboosourcery.com/bamboo.cfm

Liz, are you going to keep yours in pots or in the ground? Himalayacalamus hookerianus stays in a nice clump at the Strybing Arboretum. I love the mature culms which are honey colored.

Did you get the 2 Otataea just to be a the lush green screen? The culms on this one are not fancy are they?

You know last February, I went to Bamboo Sourcery just to buy a Bambusa vulgaris 'Vittata' for Lali for her birthday. And they only had bad looking ones that were in 1 gallon cans. They were in a very wet enclosure and looked pretty sick to my untrained eye so I didn't get it there. I have heard you can root the vegetative growth so I am going to try that from my big one but it will be slow going if it takes. I was at Bay Fair a few weeks ago and they literally have 2 little groves of 5 to 6 foot ones outside of Macys. I was so shocked. But the beautiful yellow big fat culms were quite scarred with the color maimed so my urge to grab one and run was not ignited. LOL.

This clump at the Strybing has been pretty stable the last few years. I wonder if they contain it underground.