Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Orchids: Wish we had a beginner's thread for orchids., 1 by Antrim

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Antrim

In reply to: Wish we had a beginner's thread for orchids.

Forum: Orchids

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Wish we had a beginner's thread for orchids.
Antrim wrote:
I will be happy to answer any simple questions for a beginner with orchids, but it is dangerous to make too great an offer with a lot of gardeners! It can be an all day job. I would like to caution some beginners on the American Orchid Society (AOS) and its simple one-page instructions. They can be very helpful but at times a bit too complicated for someone who is not accustomed to reading even semi-technical information.

The orchid plant below is Cattleya Hawaiian Wedding Song. This is one of about a dozen plants I have in a greenhouse. In Hawaii a greenhouse does not mean a glass covered structure. We do not need heat here, except if controlled conditions must be exact or certain species. Global warming has played havoc with some orchids, including the Cattleya Hawaiian Wedding Song. I am not a professional grower, but a very experienced amateur. That orchid was developed for the June wedding season. I have had at least one plant blooming each month since June. It is now November.

This message was edited Nov 3, 2008 6:30 PM