Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Help for newly addopted irises, 1 by LissaD

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LissaD

Subject: Help for newly addopted irises

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Help for newly addopted irises
LissaD wrote:
I am new to irises and was offered some irises that needed a new home so I went and dug them up. After dividing and cleaning and getting ready to plant I have a few questions. Most of the plants looked absolutely perfect, only a bit overgrown. It took me a few hours to clean them up and now I have a few questions. I saw maybe 5-6 little grubby worms. I am wondering if they are probably iris borers. None of the leaves or rhizomes showed any sort of holes that I would assume a "boring" (LOL I guess that is how to spell it) worm would make. I killed all that I found, I am just wondering if before I plant them all over my yard if there is any preventative measures I might use to make sure they don't come back, I assume there may be eggs that I don't see?

Also there was one batch that I kept away from everything else which seems to have aphids? Again, I am thinking of just dunking them or spraying them with the soap solution before I plant and just keep them isolated.

There were over 106 full size plants, some with babies attached still. Then there were over 30 mini plants that were smaller than 4 in but had at least a few leaves and some good roots. So, out of that many I saw maybe 5 or 6 of the grubs. Then the ones with aphids are not in that number and there are probably 30 or so of those that need to be treated.

I guess I am going to be learning a lot about irises.