Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DdeTex

In reply to: propane heat

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of propane heat
DdeTex wrote:
Carol
Your GH looks about the size of mine. I use the 4 ply plastic to cover all 4 sides of mine. This forms a 4 inch barrier between the poly and the plastic. I also drop my ceiling to about 7 foot since heat rises this help a lot too. I hang the plastic on the inside so the thinner plastic works fine. I only use it for winter and remove it when it warms up in spring. Your GH looks like it has a wood 2 X 4 frame as mine does. At most lumber yards that sell bulk nails, look for the nails with the plastic caps. I use the shorter ones with orange caps. I stretch the plastic tight and fold about an inch over where I nail at top and bottom. I cover all 4 sides and the ceiling. This helps to keep the heat inside the GH and forms the 4 inch barrier. For heat I use the cheap electric heater with the fan built in. I also use a box fan mounted high to curculate the air. On warm days you may need to open the door so as to cool things down a bit ( Texas weather). I found that the plastic makes about a 10 degree difference. On the few very cold nights, 17 degrees or so, I use 2 heaters. This keeps things above freezing. Some things will go dormant. This works well with seeds and cuttings I start in late Feb. and March. Hope this helps.
I always enjoy the RU's, meeting new and old friends. I like to do seeds and cuttings so usually have plenty to share. Hope that you can make the one in the spring here in Jacksonville. I hope the plants you got from me thrive and do well. If you are ever in the area, drop by and see me and my attempt at gardening.
Keep in touch and look forward to seeing you again.
DD