Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: Does anyone have a Conservatory???, 1 by gothqueen

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gothqueen

In reply to: Does anyone have a Conservatory???

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Does anyone have a Conservatory???
gothqueen wrote:
Willie,
we would call that a "Florida Room" here. It used to refer to a screen porch (before central AC), but nowadays it refers to a glassed in sunporch usually. Most of the houses here have one. I had a great one, about 20 x 20, at my old house with six 8x8 windows that was situated well enough that I got enough natural light to keep a 6x6 indoor water lily pond. The one here at the new house is not so awesome, its about 20 x 8 and doesn't get that kind of great light even though it has the same window space. I do keep lots of plants in there but only in winter...the "pool deck refugees" live in there, LOL.

Here are a couple photos that show the structure of my greenhouse a bit...its made of single thickness corrugated poly, has a gabled roof that peaks at 20'. It does have an overgead sprinkler system, but I only use it when I literally can't find time to water by hand, or when we go out of town. I find if I have to go out there everyday or every other to water, I keep better abreast of things like pest outbreaks and "plants in trouble". Plus, there are dry areas the sprinklers miss, because of all the overgrowth of large plants, so I have to routinely water those anyway.