Photo by Melody

Palms and Cycads: "Entire leaf" palms vs pinnate palms...what's your fave?, 1 by gothqueen

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gothqueen

Subject: "Entire leaf" palms vs pinnate palms...what's your fave?

Forum: Palms and Cycads

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of "Entire leaf" palms vs pinnate palms...what's your fave?
gothqueen wrote:
I like pinnate palms a lot and have quite a few in my collection, but I really find myself drawn more to entire leaf palms, those that have interesting undivided leaves. My collection of palms in young, I don't have any plants over about 8-9 years old, so most of them are still quite smallish. All of them are greenhouse grown except for the things that are reliably hardy here (Pygmy date, Trachy, Needles, Sabals, Pindos etc). I chose a lot of them because they were "rare" for one reason or another...mostly I chose the ones that were endangered due to habitat loss, figuring that if I had a specimen, at least I'd know there was still one left somewhere, LOL.

This is one of my favorites, Arenga hookeriana. I think the leaves are just too cool. So far it's been pretty slow growing but I think it will eventually get a big bushy crown, as it doesn't have to contend with wind or the elements. It makes a very good container palm.

Please post photos and discussion about your favorite palms.