Tropical Zone Gardening: Missing everyone, 1 by goofybulb

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright goofybulb

In reply to: Missing everyone

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Missing everyone
goofybulb wrote:
Hello, everyone! I've had computer problems, I will soon have to give it some Ginseng and maybe a brain implant!

Jeanne, planning is important, and takes a lot of work, even if your body doesn't hurt doing it!

Jen, the arrangement worked relatively well, but about 3 weeks ago I had to dis-assemble it. The landlord is doing some improvements to the house (she completely replaced the roof, and now the workers are working on the ceiling of the covered-screened patio the orchids and most of my potted plants reside. They made two more skylights (my request, very nice of our landlords), and added lights in the ceiling, so we can stay there in the evening and actually see each other!!! Now they only have to paint the ceiling and they'll be done. I had to take them inside, so they would not be completely covered in dust. Inside was same dry air, and less light.
Until a week ago, they still looked OK. Then one of them (my Dendrobium chrysotoxum) started losing leaf after leaf with no apparent cause, and in this week it lost half its leaves, with no apparent cause. I finally figured out what's happening to it, it was spider mites (where on earth did they come from?), when I saw a fine webbing spreading from it to another orchid. So my DH sprayed all the plants now. The Dendrobium stopped losing leaves since the spraying (two days ago).

My orchids look better when you look at them from far now... I am ashamed to admit, but ignorance is payed... I guess I've been mean to them. First, I moved them from a perfect weather (I AM SELFISH, I wanted them with me, didn't want to leave them behind). Then, during the move (we drove from Miami to El Paso just to take all my plants with me), we had a nice cloudy weather, perfect for the plants, EXCEPT one sunny day. This led to some burns on my two Cattleyas' leaves. I was told not to worry about it, as long as it's not major burns, this will only be unsightly. Then, we got to this desert heat, and it took me a while to figure out they are not happy (because for a while I kept the watering regimen I had in Miami). I started to water them more often, mist them twice a day, had that double-bottom-pot arrangement done and they seemed OK. OK, but not happy. The older pseudobulbs are not plumped anymore (because of the water deprivation, I think) and only the new ones look plump and healthy. I wonder if the older ones will ever get plump again?

Now the temps are dropping at night to mid-50s, so I'll have to bring them inside. Yesterday we went to HD, and my DH bought me a 6-tiered shelf (I don't have just orchids to bring in...). With some furniture moved around, I'll have just the perfect spot, in front of the big southern-facing window in one of the bedrooms. That thing is tall enough so on the upper levels I'll have bright light, and on the lower levels I have sun for about 5 hours. He spent a lot of money on it, but he said: "your orchids cost much more, and if it makes them happy, than that's it... but until they do improve, we won't buy more..."
I'm thinking of placing the humidifier under them, on a lower shelf, so they get some moisture (the air in the house is as dry as outside...).

Dave, indeed that is one agave, but I'm not familiar with them, as to tell the species. Apparently the Chihuahuan desert (where El Paso is located) is different (with respect to its vegetation) from other deserts in US, the most native plants are agaves of some sort. The other is Ocotillo, there are many of them, either landscaping the streets or just growing wildly on the mountains and hills surrounding the city. I'm eagerly waiting for the spring to see them in flower. It was a real miracle to see them, just sticks raising to the sky, covering in green leaves after the first rains of the monsoon season! Lots of prickly pears (Opuntia) as well!

Everyone, I'm charging the batteries for the camera now, I'll take pictures on how they look now. I'll post pictures of my orchids "then and now", but I guess I'll start a new thread, I don't want to hijack this one.

Christi, I know of more than just "one ball of energy" in this forum!!! Good thoughts and wishes for all of them!

Lots of hugs to all,
Alexandra