Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Carnivorous Plants: nepenthes question, 1 by chubbydoll

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright chubbydoll

Subject: nepenthes question

Forum: Carnivorous Plants

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of nepenthes question
chubbydoll wrote:
I read Peter D'amato's "Savage Garden" and in his book he gives some specific info on nepenthes..but on several other sites I find conflicting information on outdoor growing. I am in zone 8b/9a ( Jacksonville Fl), the rear of my house is east facing ( this is where my bog garden is) and I do not have any tree over head near my home ( it is Florida..hurricaines). I do have a Live Oak tree that is very large on the back of my fence line but it stays very shady under it. My front porch is west facing and I have 2 trees in my front yard that provide filters light for my front porch. I grow my orchid on the front porch hanging from the ceiling.
Now I have a Nep. alata ( highland species) and newly aquired nep 'Miranda', ( what hybrid that is I am unsure) both are large. I also have a Nep. ventricosa "orange form" and a Nep. sanguinea both are small in 3" pots ( I currently have them in a terrarium). Peter D'amato states they can thrive in a greenhouse style terrarium.

I am getting conflicting info on the web.
What do I do? As far as I know they are all are highland species. My temp ranges are typically 80-95+ during the summer with never less than 60% humidity. Night time temps are 60-70 normally.

I do NOT want to kill these. I probably would cry if they died. Anyone out there familiar witht htese species and my zone.?

picture is of ' Nep. Miranda'