Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: October...blooms?

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of October...blooms?
Gitagal wrote:
rcn,

If you are a Brug grower--you know about the "above and below the Y thing"--right?

If you cut your plant back to bring it inside---and if you cut it all below the "Y"'s, it will grow tall the following year and bloom later because it has to "Y" all over again.
A Brug will not bloom until it has "Y"-ed! The branching has to split in a "Y". From then on, each part of the "Y" will "Y" again and again and your plant will have several flushes.

If you take cuttings ABOVE the Y and they root, and you plant them next year, they will not grow as tall but will bloom sooner.
Cuttings from below the "Y", such as any length of stem, will grow straight up until it "Y"'s, and then bloom.

My tall "Forevermohr" (which was hybridized by Shirley Mohr--my "guru" when i was starting out) is a tall-growing plant and just now bloomed for the first time. I don't think I am keeping it. It is a cross of "Rosamond" and "Butterfly"....BIG pink blooms!

The Rosamond is also a good bloomer. Makes huge flowers----I lost that one too!

I am NOT a serious Brug grower--but when I start with a plant I have never had--I try to learn as much about it as I can.

This is my "Forevermohr" in 2006.