Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Vines and Climbers: Tropical vine suggestions..., 1 by seedpicker_TX

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright seedpicker_TX

In reply to: Tropical vine suggestions...

Forum: Vines and Climbers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Tropical vine suggestions...
seedpicker_TX wrote:
Kat-

I am sort of a vine freak...I have grown over 200 vines and many of them are still tucked somewhere in my garden, lol...

I grow both the queen's wreath, and the solandra...in fact I have both the regular solandra, and the variegated one, which has a gorgeous tri-color variegated leaf.

I didn't recommned either of those, though, because you said small leaves.

They both have very large leaves, and the queen's wreath leaf is huge. I'd say one and a half times as long as my hand. The solandra is about hand size. Either of those will do well in your climate, and will show off with beautiful blooms, but big leaves mean they can block off more sun.

Also, you said "a little more delicate and not so woody"...the solandra is very woody. It is usually grown as a bush, instead of a vine, and not sure why it is classed as a vine. It is a very floppy bush with thick(thicker than my finger) woody branches that sorta flop if not pruned compactly...thus people tie them up, and they become "a vine".

You certainly can choose the queens wreath and the solandra, and they would look beautiful, but if you still want smaller leaves, and not to block out all your light, you may want to consider these for a different spot...

Here is a picture of a solandra grown as they are supposed to be grown(as a bush) in a landscape setting on Mustique Island:

I have a better picture, from further away that shows the entire bush, but this is the only picture that is still on my computer...the others are burned to a disc, that is not handy at the moment :0)