Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Rural Gardening: This years Sizzles!!!, 1 by countryranch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright countryranch

In reply to: This years Sizzles!!!

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of This years Sizzles!!!
countryranch wrote:
Hi All, I'm new here & found this thread while googling chicken color genetics. Couldn't resist replying about the sizzles since I'm into them too, & boy do I have some questions!
I'm so excited I can hardly type! Anyway, my grandson & I raise show silkies but someone gave him a frizzle so we did a cross breeding just for fun. The babies were adorable & one of the hens took reserve champion at county fair, so we were HOOKED. We are now into our 3rd generation & getting some adorable birds with even better foot-feathering than we have on our pure show silkies. None of our birds are quite as cute as Boop, but her picture definitely gives us something to strive for!

Anyway, I would love to ask questions & share results with anyone else doing Sizzles. I've searched the internet & genetic info is either non-existent or so far over my head that it might as well be written in martian.

I won't bug everyone with a bunch of questions right now but I do have one that I would like to have answered. About the Frilkies. Sarah, your post said that they are silky feathered & frizzled, but your pic looks just like nice regular silkies to me. I don't see any sign of frizzling. Another breeder said she thought frizzled silkie feathers were ugly so I'd really like to see some. So far, in all 3 generations, we haven't gotten a single silkie feathered frizzle so could someone please send me a picture?

I'm trying a pic of one of our 1st gen Sizzles but I haven't read instructions so it probably won't work.

One last thing, the Frizzle bug has bitten us bad, so we've started trying to frizzle other breeds. We have a frizzle Polish that looks just like Big Bird, except she's white, & another with a "do" that you'd have to see to believe. Hmmm. I wonder what a Frizzle/Polish/Silkie cross would look like? Next year we are going to try some frizzled Sultans & frizzled D'Uccles. Oh my. I think this is really getting out of hand. Instead of Country Ranch, we may have to start calling ourselves the Frizzle Farm.
Sheri