Rocky Mountain Gardening: Fall DBG Plant Sale, 1 by pajaritomt

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pajaritomt

In reply to: Fall DBG Plant Sale

Forum: Rocky Mountain Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Fall DBG Plant Sale
pajaritomt wrote:
Thanks for the info about variegates. I thought I had read that somewhere. But sounds as at least a couple of them are really vigorous. I have great hopes for Betsy Towe, now that DN has vouched for it.
You will be interested to hear that a dentist down town has planted a banana tree in his front water feature -- in full sun. I will be watching this spot in the spring to see if it survives. I planted mine in full shade and as you know, neither made it. The rhodie continues to thrive, though and it appears to be covered in little green buds at the tips of the branches. I hope they don't get frozen this winter.
I know have quite a few arilbred iris in my garden, including that beauty Oyez. I have learned a great deal about how to grow them -- namely that as long as they are in a well-drained spot they like the same treatment as any bearded iris. I am really looking forward to their spring bloom. Arils are a different case and mostly need desert conditions for growing. One of our hybridizers in Albuquerque has a frame over his iris beds that he can cover in case of rain at the wrong time.
Here is a picture of my one arilbred flower this spring, Stars over LPaso.
Have a great Saturday.