Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Rural Gardening: My first serama egg!!, 1 by silkiechick

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright silkiechick

In reply to: My first serama egg!!

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My first serama egg!!
silkiechick wrote:
wow, usually hens don't lay that quick in a new home so she must be happy and comfy!! mike said he doesn't think seramas lay over 6 eggs in a clutch(my hubby), but going by size of our eggs laid he don't know if they could sit on more than 4,lol. some of my hens r a size i doubt they could sit on more than 2.

i don't measure my oyster i give it free choice. every like 2 days i put in a small bowel of it for them and they eat what they want of it. sometimes my birds don't eat it at all and then they cut back on laying so i mix some in the feed for them so they have to eat it. i noticed my seramas don't lay if they don't have it. birds need calcium to a point to lay and to have good shells or they will lay soft rubber eggs or none at all. if mine have to much my silkie girls eggs will have calcium deposits on the egg shells so i cut back on the calcium. seramas only prob i had was no eggs if they didn't have enough. my roos eat it some too not sure if that is good or bad but it has never seemed to bother them usually they ignore it's there though.

i'm a liceansed poultry tech but i still learn new things everyday and ask questions if i don't know something so no worries and ask all the questions ya want. that's what is great about this forum, lots of loveing careing people here with many kinds of experiences to help one another.

this isn't the greatest pic and he has matured some since mike took this pic but i think this is the one that looks like him. mine is really tiny, he is one of my smallest guys. he hasn't gotten his long tail feathers yet but looks beautiful now so hopefully soon. how old r u birds roughly? mine r mabe 20 or so weeks i can't remember when i hatched them out now.

only fill ur inside trough with water and both inside and outside one the last 3 days, lg directions say both, trust me don't fill both except last 3 days for any eggs in. do u have a hygrometer to measure humidity? temp is great! i'll have to ask mike what humidity thing we did different. seramas hatch usually day 19-21. i found it better to hatch them at least a day early it helped them to hatch better.

lol, hatching is adictive, that's for sure. my seramas r due to move to the hatcher on the 20th so i'm excited to see what hatches from my girls. what breed of eggs do u have comeing and how many? lol glad to be an enabler, i think everyone should own chickens.