Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Fruits and Nuts: Fig Tree Questions "Peters Honey" LOTS of die back :-(, 1 by 3gardeners

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 3gardeners

Subject: Fig Tree Questions "Peters Honey" LOTS of die back :-(

Forum: Fruits and Nuts

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Fig Tree Questions "Peters Honey" LOTS of die back :-(
3gardeners wrote:
Growing up I loved figs. So when I bought my first home, I went to HD and bought a fig tree. I didn't know anything about them and wasn't a gardener yet. They had one called "Peters Honey" and it sounded good so I got it. Wow did I ever luck out. They are the most wonderful figs I've ever tasted and I know I don't like several varieties anymore. There are even a few in the stores that I won't buy because I don't know if I'll like them and they cost so much I'm afraid they will disappoint me since I am so spoiled.
Anyway, now to the point. Last year we had a particularly bad year in our 10 year drought and temps to 105 for several weeks. It was terrible. But my fig tree produced so much fruit I could not eat it all, even with the birds and squirrels robbing me! I guess it thought it was dying and it had to give it all it had to make sure there were future generations. Anyway, I kept it watered as best as I could with our restrictions and it made it to this year.
This year when it leafed out I noticed that most of the branches had die back of about 18 to 24 inches. By that, I mean the ends were dead, but leaves did sprout and grow 18" to 24" down the branch. Other branches were simply dead all together. Plus, I probably had 15 figs, total. And the D*** squirrels and birds beat me to all but 2 of them! (They are so lucky I couldn't catch them)

Now I need to know how to prune it and help it along for next year.

I'm in upper, middle Georgia, right outside of Atlanta. Zone 7a. Our winters seem to be getting milder. I don't think the winter killed the ends of the branches, I think (think) it was the drought.

1. Do I cut back the Dead ends/tips? When? Now? Fall? Winter? Spring?
2. When do I cut off the totally dead branches?
3. Should I fertilize this fall? What kind of fertilizer?

As much as I hate the hassle, I think I might actually try to find a fig tree net (or whatever it's called) and protect and fruit I get next year. They are simply magnificent!

I REALLY appreciate your help. :-)