Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: My arilbreds are coming back!, 1 by pajaritomt

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pajaritomt

In reply to: My arilbreds are coming back!

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My arilbreds are coming back!
pajaritomt wrote:
I saw Dardanus this summer at the Ariltrek in Albuquerque. It is very lovely. I have attached my amateurish picture of it. I don't have it yet. But here is the name of an iris seller who might very well have it. She has quite a substantial printed iris catalog that you can request, but no website. I recommend you call or email her to see if she will sell you a rhizome or two of Dardanus. She is a very nice person and operates a very good aril business.

* Arils of Paradise
Dolores Bates
5580 Angel Dr.
Paradise, CA 95969
yardsailer@peoplepc.com

The Aril Society International, well worth joining I might add, has a web page devoted to nurseries that sell iris. Some are on the internet, and I don't think they sell Dardanus because I didn't find it in a web search. Others, some of which do not have a website, could also sell it. Check this page of the ASI for their names:

http://www.arilsociety.org/index.pl?Nurseries

The aril growers tend to know one another and tend to be more devoted to arils and arilbreds than to making money. (unlike Brecks) I am pretty sure this picture was taken in the garden of Pete McGrath, an aril hybridizer from Albuquerque. He will sell iris, though he doesn't have a business for that purpose. You could probably find him in an online telephone book ( Anywho) and telephone him and ask him if he would sell you one. He tells me he does sell iris on occasion. But I would start with Arils of Paradise. I am sure a Dardanus can be had, though I am not sure if you can get them this late in the year. Still, I just received an order today, so it isn't impossible!