Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Beginner Gardening: Front yard / corner lot needs help for British pocket garden, 1 by Twincol

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Twincol

In reply to: Front yard / corner lot needs help for British pocket garden

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Front yard / corner lot needs help for British pocket garden
Twincol wrote:
Facing south from the front door down the walk toward the street.

Remember . . . thinking about a British pocket garden here . . . formal . . . how about little mini roses? mini tree roses? straight lines up each side of the walk?

The crack in the walk? My plan is to lay them atop the walk beginning at the fence/crack, run 'em up to the wall. Then . . . place a layer atop each of the two steps, adding a decorative layer to the top of the concrete landing at the door, which is cracked and such, kinda like having wrinkles from age . . . like me .

Then . . . THEN . . . and here's a likely controversial part of my plan, folks . . . using all of those pavers to cover the much of the ground behind the fence between the fence and the house.

I'd leave the beds next to the house intact, encircling the trunks of the two pom pom'd Wax Leaf Privets (trimmed of their lower pom) with British-style wood "planter" boxes -- soooo coooool! Not sure what else to put in there with the privets, but with your help it will come to me.

And a little perhaps-contemporary knot garden using the pavers and low lying plants (ummm ajuga? two different colors??).

Potted plants. Rose bushes which can be moved as the sun moves throughout the summer, perhaps? I have two large basketweave concrete pots . . . outside the fence at the entry to the pocket garden where the step-up pavers start?

This message was edited Sep 3, 2008 9:25 PM