Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Rocky Mountain Gardening: Growing any fruit?, 1 by pajaritomt

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pajaritomt

In reply to: Growing any fruit?

Forum: Rocky Mountain Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Growing any fruit?
pajaritomt wrote:
I looked it up. The peach is a Reliance and I planted it in Sept. or Oct. 2002. So it is now 6 years old -- almost. It probably was a 2 or 3 year old tree when I bought it from a local nursery. It has had crops for the past 2 or 3 years but not enough that the birds were willing to share with me. The bucket is my share this year!
On the multiple kinds fruit trees, one kind tends to dominate the others and the challenge is to keep the dominant one from taking over the whole tree. I gather you have to prune it more than the others.
Peaches and cherries are the first trees to start bearing but even they take a while to produce good sized crops.
Apples are slow and pears are worse. I have a Trancendent Crab Apple ( a siberian) and a Wickson -- an antique American variety from the famous apple breeder Albert Etter. Can you tell I love fruit trees and fruit?
Here is a picture of my Orcas Pear -- planted in 2004. If you look carefully you will see a little pink spot which is a pear. It has 18 of these pears now. I am so excited. Next question -- when do I pick.