Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Tree ID - and problem with falling leaves, 1 by CoreHHI

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright CoreHHI

In reply to: Tree ID - and problem with falling leaves

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Tree ID - and problem with falling leaves
CoreHHI wrote:
I have to say something about lightning strikes. I had about a 45 ft pines get hit, luck me i saw it. LOL. It blew pieces of bark off towards the base and the lightning blew a hole in the dirt at the base of the tree which was charred. Easy to figure out what happened after the fact. It didn't kill the tree and looked like it was healing up. About 18 months later I heard the sound of something major breaking in a tree. I thought maybe a big branch but after listening for a while I tracked it to the tree that got hit with lightning. I used a hammer to tap the tree to see if it was hollow or rotten and half of it was. I used the claw part of the hammer and started digging out saw dust for the most part. Half the tree from the ground up probably 12 ft was bug infested and totally shot. The noise was the wind blowing it back and forth.

End result was I cut down the tree right then and there, didn't want it to fall on someone. It still had needles on all the branches. I thought for a while that it would be fine but it didn't work out that way.

See if i have a picture. Notice the needles really don't look bad.