Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 42, 1 by TexasPuddyPrint

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright TexasPuddyPrint

In reply to: DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 42

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 42
TexasPuddyPrint wrote:
Here's a lunch line of Leafwings :o) They are feeding on butterfly brew.

~ Cat

ps...Thea - do ya'll get a variety of 'brushfoot' butterflies there?

Out here a variety of Leafwings, Emperors (Tawny, Hackberry, Empress Leilia, Silver, Pavon), Sisters, Crackers, Malachites, Red Rims, Blomfild's Beauty, Common Banner, Common Mestras, Red Admirals, Question Marks, Commas and some other frequent bait. Not sure if it's because we've got 'em trained or spoiled or turned them into alcoholics! :o)

We also get a nice variety that comes to scat like Sailors, Blues, Sicklewings and other skippers. Once in a while if I'm driving around the ranch on the golf cart I'll pour water on scat to re-hydrate it. The butterflies seem to prefer owl scat or whatever it is that owls upchuck. Of course, butterflies like sicklewings and brown-banded skippers go for fresh cow patties! UGH!!!

Which reminds me...last year a group of use were at one of the parks that has paved trails - which always have lots of critter scat on them. Anyway, one of the butterfliers had his young son with him and kids being kids - this one was sucking on a lollipop. A few minutes into the trail a sicklewing landed on the candy. He thought it was the neatest thing - of course, one of the men just had to tell him chances were those butterfly feet were probably knee deep in scat mere minutes ago!

This message was edited Aug 17, 2008 3:22 PM