Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 42, 1 by thea611

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright thea611

In reply to: DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 42

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 42
thea611 wrote:
I would love to see GOBS of butterflies at once!!! I think the only time I have was once on the island of Monhegan, off the coast of Maine; we were hiking in September, and came upon a lot of asters growing in a clearing amongst the rocks, and the asters were covered with monarchs. What a sight!!!! Cat, I loved your photos of the Snouts and the Sulphurs. I keep putting out the butterfly brew but so far have only seen ants and bees on it!
This morning I found two Frit crysalides out on the deck, and better yet, two of the five cats I put in a crate this week have pupated. The process seems a lot quicker than with my BST's! Last night before I went to bed, the frit cats were moving around the crate, and now this morning two have pupated. The BST's do their roaming and find their spots to hang, and then they hang there for about a day, sometimes more, before they become a crysallis. Seems to take forever!
Elaine, this kitty may be kin of Sammy's!!! Not as beautiful, but he is a nice little guy (when he's not chasing butterflies!). This morning at breakfast, he was stalking the hummingbirds! And yesterday afternoon he was playing with a big green hornworm!
I'm dreading the day I see a butterfly in a spider web! We've been watching in fascination a huge garden spider in the garden, I even throw a bug in to his web now and then just to watch him twirl it around and package it up! Last week he dined for quite a while on a grasshopper. But mercy, if he catches a butterfly, I hope I'm there to extricate it.