Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Georgia Gardening: Storm Damage on August 2, do you know good contractors??, 1 by RobertinAtlanta

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright RobertinAtlanta

Subject: Storm Damage on August 2, do you know good contractors??

Forum: Georgia Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Storm Damage on August 2, do you know good contractors??
RobertinAtlanta wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I know this is late posting but it is concern with others which has large trees in your yard. We bought our house in November and had three large trees in our front yard (at least 80 ft tall and 80-90 years old). We thought it was wonderful having such old and large trees. Well since November we had to remove one tree because it was dying (the state removed it for us since it was on their easement). The state tree removal company must have been really inexpensive- once the tree was removed they did replant the bushes but the shock to them don’t know if they will make it, not to mention all the damage the did to other plantings we had. Well that was one tree down but we had two other large, old beautiful trees in our front yard. My thoughts changed about large tree after Saturday, August 2nd.

I was home alone, and ran out to Publics to get some groceries around 7pm. On the way to the store, I noticed the sky getting dark and heard on the radio a sever thunderstorm warning was out from 7-8pm. I just thought to myself, ‘Oh it will be nice to get a bit of rain, might cool us off. It was probably due to the high temps we have been having.” Well I got back from Publics and was in shock to see a tree in my house (see picture). I still didn’t believe it when I got in the house to see rain rushing in. I called State Farm right away, and the firemen showed up to make sure everyone was ok. I was on the phone with State Farm for about a good 30 minutes asking when the adjuster would be coming out- they said a week. I then called a friend of mine to cancel going to the movies on Sunday because of the tree in the house. He didn’t believe that it happened so he came over. Meanwhile, I proceeded to move the wet furniture, mop the water off the hardwood floors and tried to take some pictures. I have never had a tree on my house before so I didn’t know what to do. I thought the insurance company would help, but they are useless when something happens to your home. My friend which came over, then told me while the rain was pouring in the house to call a tree company (which he suggested DeKalb Tree Service- don’t confuse with other companies). After my first experience with the state tree company, was very leery and looked them up with the Better Business Bureau (no complaints filed), so I called them on the emergency number. They said they would be out from ½ - 1 hour to give me an estimate to remove the tree from the house. They were on time and gave me an estimate, which included stump removal and tarpping the house (I thought I had to put the tarp on it). I didn’t get much sleep that night because of the intermittent showers and was concerned about water on the hardwood floors (had to keep water off them). So before DeKalb Tree Service showed up, a guy shows up at my door around 8:30 asking if my house was Zeltwig’s home (believe it or not I know my neighbors last names, and no other on our street had a tree down on their house). He was with another tree service company and State Farm sent him out. I told him I already had it under control with an estimate from another tree service company, and would be showing up at any minute. I asked him for an estimate but he never gave me one. He scurried away after finding out another company was taking care of the tree. Well about an hour afterward, DeKalb Tree Service showed up and did what they said. I also asked for a quote to remove the other large old oak tree (which was struggling to survive), to remove. I had them remove that one also (wasn’t going to take any chance again with a tree coming down). I really hate that we don’t have the old trees in our front anymore but it is better to remove them then to let them fall where they shouldn’t.

So since then, I have contacted some contractors for estimates (Still accepting estimates so if you know of a good general contractor who is reliable, please send me their name and number), and State Farm Adjuster showed up TEN days after the tree arrived in my living room. I am still waiting on estimates from State Farm and other contractors to put my home back together.

If anyone knows of a good contractor or had this happen to them, please let me know so I know what to prepare for.

Also, remember it is up to YOU to call a tree service company, and it is your choice who to go with. Do your research and know who you might call IF a tree lands in your home. I know I will call DeKalb Tree Service again when I need a tree removed.