Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 42, 1 by mellielong

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mellielong

In reply to: DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 42

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of DAILY BUTTERFLIES Page 42
mellielong wrote:
Thea, I would say that's a Spicebush. Pipevines don't have the white spots around the edging like that. They have white spots but they're...different. It's hard to explain in words sometimes, lol! Now in your first picture with the Tiger ST, is that a female dark form TST on the right? Those are the ones I have trouble telling from Spicebushes. Your picture really helps because I see more orange which the Spicebush wouldn't have, and the body is all black whereas the Spicebush has white spots.

I had three Polydamas flying in the yard today. One of them ate some pentas for a change. I tried to chase one away from the pipevine, but it laid two clusters of eggs anyway. I also had a sulphur laying eggs (which I gathered up); I think it was an Orange-Barred as it looked like one I saw earlier this year. I also rounded up another gang of Long-Tailed Skippers. Oh! - and something is laying eggs on my false indigo http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1613/. It looks like the long-tailed skippers because the eggs were similar and there were leaf shelters. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any cats. The lizards tend to hang out there so they may have eaten them. I didn't even realize anything was laying on it, but now that I know I'll do regular checks.

As for my crazy skipper chrysalis, that's it's head and skin on the right and it's resting on a dried-up leaf. Sheila, did that answer your question?

Check it out - one of the Polydamas actually stopped to sun itself!