Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: Does anyone have a Conservatory???, 1 by WNYwillieB

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright WNYwillieB

In reply to: Does anyone have a Conservatory???

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Does anyone have a Conservatory???
WNYwillieB wrote:
Looks like you are painting planting yourself into a corner quickly!! Aaahhhh .... fond memories!!

A lot of the tropicals, while they say they are full sun, tend to not be full sun when young. So, be careful you have enough shade for things, esp. a tree fern. Which, if you have a pond, should make it humid enough, but might be too humid for other things.

Some tropicals can't stand the heat, also. My jasmine, for example, suffers on the full sun hot side until I put it out for the summer or move it over to the dark side.

I got lucky and have a mulberry tree outside the southwest corner, which provides a good deal of shade to the plants on the west side of the GH (covers about half GH), while leaving the east side half bright and sunny for the cacti / succulent collection. Mulberry is nice as you can hack it back and it will re-grow in a couple years. Don't want major limbs over/around glass during wind and ice storms!!

Here is a shot of the "dark side" during the spring migration to the great outside, as plans are in place to construct the deck inside the GH (out from the dining room's french doors) finally, so things will be a lot different, and hopefully have more room to position plants! (and a pond!)

Plans are including the future addition of enclosing the new deck area off from the surrounding GH to create a mini GH in a GH, so to speak. This way I can keep the outer greenhouse colder and the inner one warmer for the winter (vice-versa in the summer)!! I refer to that part as the GghH :-)

I have long admired the way the old Victorian GHs would be divided into microclimates. One for ferns, one for cacti, one for tropicals, etc. Keeping those requiring the most heat nearer to the furnace (hot water) and the coolest farthest.