Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: Does anyone have a Conservatory???, 1 by WNYwillieB

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright WNYwillieB

In reply to: Does anyone have a Conservatory???

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Does anyone have a Conservatory???
WNYwillieB wrote:
Hey Holly!!! Welcome to the Club!! I started planning for my GH in 1990.

Rule #1: Plan your budget carefully!! Then multiply by 4!!! :-)

I did the same thing you are planning, as I built a "Lean-to" off the south side of the house, 32-foot by about 10-foot. Raised the roof on the house, and the GH connects to the gutter line of the dormer. (see pic of construction phase. Note there are no side walls yet in this photo). I can look down into the greenhouse from the second floor rooms. This was a "Do-It-Yourself" kit from Four Seasons Greenhouses.

Two things I wish I had considered: Installing a heating system into the cement floor and BIGGER exhaust fans in the opposing top corners. (Radiant heat in the foundation was too costly for my budget).

Planning for a bigger budget, of course, is a given.

One thing I am REALLY glad I installed is a drain in the cement foundation.

Also, consider intake fans in the lower (near the floor) corners, to bring in much needed cooler air. Air Circulation is always a problem and should probably plan for a couple of fans inside, as well, to help aid in moving the air around. I use one cheap 20-inch box fan.

If the sun is an issue, you might consider some shade cloth for over the top. They come in Percents of Shade. I am probably going to get the aluminum version to use in the two months that really give the A/C a work out, as the GH is open to the house on the second floor, and through french doors on the first. In the wintertime, the heat is GREAT!! On sunny days the furnace does not go on until after the sun sets.

One note on shade cloth, is to get the amount of shading appropriate for what you plan to grow inside. I used to sew (2) large painters canvas drop cloths together and cover the GH with that.

The only other thing I would say to plan for carefully: Tables! (or shelves). MUST be something upon which water will not pool. Do not do what I did and get cheap 8-foot plastic topped tables. I am now building my own out of framing lumber and for the "table top surface" I am using left over bird caging wire. Air circulation under the pots is very important.

And yes! mine is already MOST MINUTE! I am already scheming how to expand it!! (now if only the zoning morons, er .... folk, would not be so obstinate)

Lastly, check your assessment verbiage. If you call it a Conservatory, it is considered LIVING SPACE, if you call it a GreenHouse, it is not assessed as living space and cheaper on the property tax. I now have to fight to have them change it BACK to GreenHouse, as they decided to change it to Conservatory so they could raise my taxes after 15 years!!!!! Even "Enclosed Porch" will increase your property taxes. I think I am going to have to get a lawyer for this, as the zoning people are most difficult to work with here.

Oops! I just wrote you a novel .... I guess that should be enough for starters, eh?

Good luck!! and definitely Research, Research, Research!!!!!