Photo by Melody

Canadian Gardening: What's in doing in your part of the country??? Pt.6, 1 by ggd

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ggd

In reply to: What's in doing in your part of the country??? Pt.6

Forum: Canadian Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What's in doing in your part of the country??? Pt.6
ggd wrote:
Daturas are usually grown as an annual as they definitely will not take the frost. Brugs won't take frost either,but can be overwintered in a garage, basement etc. We have another building on our property that isn't heated, and I keep them there, giving them a bit of water once every month or so. All the leaves fall off, and sometimes some of the stems get a bit yucky. But trim them off in the spring, and they get going again. My large brugs have been in the same pots for several years. Last year I root planed them and repotted them in the same pots and they have done well.
Both of these plants are toxic and that's one of the reasons I grow brugs. THE DEER WON'T TOUCH THEM!!!
Lots of people grow brugs in the ground, and just cut them down in the fall and they often come back in the spring(at least in warmer climates). I have never grown them in the ground.
Don, when I grew my dats a few years ago, they were grown in full sun and absolutely loved it. It was pretty hot that year and they grew tremendously.
Here's one of my brugs last year.