Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Georgia Gardening: Feeling low, 1 by MaypopLaurel

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MaypopLaurel

In reply to: Feeling low

Forum: Georgia Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Feeling low
MaypopLaurel wrote:
Well, it is hit and miss for sure. Been dry in Atlanta all week but as we started to approach Cleveland we were excitedly counting puddles and pointing out wet driveways. When we got here we discovered plenty of water in my homemade garden gauges. Squashes, zucchinis, beans, peas etc. that had been picked clean five days ago were laden with produce. Thank goodness I have my secret recipes for overgrown squash!

The big news in our garden is the greens. I don't even know how to explain it, but we have had a garden full of yellow jackets that (I think) are the less aggressive "German" type. They are bountiful and scary, but I just move gingerly and be careful where I step, The upshot is we have had virtually NO worms, aphids, Japanese beetles, etc. in the garden this year. We are picking very excellent collards, beets, kale, chard, cukes and squashes. We did find two squash with the beginnings of holes, but no worms. I'm wondering what I can do to keep this balance in the future because we have not sprayed anything in over a month. Here's a sampling of this morning's harvest before it got to hot to continue.

Laurel