Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Any luck over-wintering Coleus?, 1 by HollyAnnS

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright HollyAnnS

In reply to: Any luck over-wintering Coleus?

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Any luck over-wintering Coleus?
HollyAnnS wrote:
Actually I have a self made strawberry pot full of coleus. Years ago I picked up an inexpensive plastic pot and had Ric cut 6 holes in it with a hole-saw. Made a nice strawberry pot type of container. You can plant whole plants in my holes they are much larger than in this article. Mine holds about 10 coleus plants. I have a watering pipe buried in the center of the pot. It's a 2in piece of pvc pipe with holes drilled into it. It was put in the pot before we started to fill it with dirt, When I water the pot I fill the pipe that way the roots all get some water and the water doesn't run out the plant holes as much. Works very nicely.
I liked the one in the article with the smaller holes since you could save so many more different cuttings. Although you would then be going through the cutting and rooting process in the spring to get plants from the ones in this container as you could never get the plants out of those small holes.
Of course I haven't overwintered any coleus this way just thought it might be a good way.
Shirley what do you think?
I had to replace a few of my plants, in this picture you can see the holes and you can just see the white bit of pipe in the top. When these will fill out and you would see hardly any of the pot at all.