Photo by Melody

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Dolly hits landfall - no butterflies but have hummies :o), 1 by TexasPuddyPrint

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright TexasPuddyPrint

In reply to: Dolly hits landfall - no butterflies but have hummies :o)

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Dolly hits landfall - no butterflies but have hummies :o)
TexasPuddyPrint wrote:
Whoa...the news said 250,000 people are without electricity!!! YIKES!!! I am one of the lucky ones :o) Brother and sister-in-law are without electricity and the land around their home is flooded. He built his house 30 inches higher than the land around them - which has turned out to be a blessing every time it floods.

I'd given him my old Panasonic Lumix FZ30 camera last week and he took photos of his place this morning. You can't see the driveway under all that water. They came by to pick me up - he had to drive to the ranch to pick up the generator.

On the drive to the ranch we saw many trees uprooted. I mean huge trees with about trunks at the very least 18" + wide!!! Several had toppled onto houses. Lots of flooding along the roadways. Some parts on the outskirts of Edinburg are low lying areas and there were numerous cars with water up to the windows. Houses sitting in water too. So sad.... and to think this wasn't a full blown hurricane. We are lucky there have been no deaths reported. Electricity and city crews are working 24/7 to restore services.

While at the ranch we drove the tractor to the back field to see if the pond had filled up. Saw this owl hopping along the fence line. It was too wet to fly...looked quite pissed off too :o)

~ Cat

This message was edited Jul 24, 2008 6:23 PM