Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Dolly hits landfall - no butterflies but have hummies :o), 1 by TexasPuddyPrint

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright TexasPuddyPrint

In reply to: Dolly hits landfall - no butterflies but have hummies :o)

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Dolly hits landfall - no butterflies but have hummies :o)
TexasPuddyPrint wrote:
Well I slept through it all :o) Boss called at 630am and said not to go into work - woohoo!!!

The news said the winds that went through here were 75 mph. It is dead calm now. Got up and looked around - our neighborhood has lots of downed limbs and debris but I didn't see any overturned vehicles or downed power lines. I'll need to get the hedger and pruner out to cut back lots of the bushes in my yard that are now leaning over. Will wait until the weekend to see if they straighten back up by themselves. The ground is completely saturated. The rain gauge was full so am assuming it rained over six inches. I walked through my yard to check on things and the ground was real squishy! Had to empty out all the waterlogged pots - unfortunately the mosquitoes are still around - they were flying all over the place...UGH!!!

My brother called from Harlingen - their power went out yesterday afternoon and the area around his house is flooded. He's thinking of driving to the ranch to pick up the generator as he has two freezers full of meat he doesn't want to perish. Saw the news - lots and lots of flooded roads!!! News also showed hotels on Padre Island had sidings and walls torn off. Also saw photos of a trailer home that was turned over and in pieces. Lots and lots of debris - street signs and tree branches, trampolines from people's back yards and such. Thank God it wasn't as devasting as Katrina!

The hummies are out in the back yard again :o) So glad to know they made it through the storm. I still can't believe they were zipping around last night after each other and getting pushed around by the wind. You could see them making a bee line for a tree and the wind would shove them away but they managed to catch their balance and get into the shelter of the tree each time.

Dolly has passed us but we're still in for more rain from the southern bands that follow. It really looks clear and calm...so I hope no more rain falls here. We can still use rain at the ranch though :o)

For those of you near Corpus Christi, Rockport, Taft and up in San Antonio - the news said winds are still strong and rain is still falling. Do hope everyone is safe!!!!

~ Cat

This hummie looks a bit cold and drenched but it is doing fine. Watched it preen itself and zip back and forth to the feeder.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2008 8:58 AM