Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Dolly hits landfall - no butterflies but have hummies :o), 1 by TexasPuddyPrint

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright TexasPuddyPrint

Subject: Dolly hits landfall - no butterflies but have hummies :o)

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Dolly hits landfall - no butterflies but have hummies :o)
TexasPuddyPrint wrote:
Dolly has hit landfall. I'm 60 miles west of where it hit and out here we are getting lots of rain and really strong winds. Most folks out here were prepared but there is still flooded streets, downed power lines and lots of debris from trees, street signs, store signs, roofs, vehicle windows broken by flying debris and a few overturned cars too.

Our department was turned loose from work at noon so I've been quite bored at home. However, I have amused myself by watching the hummingbirds in the backyard. They try to perch on a some wire trellises I have in the yard and I can see them being buffeted by the wind. I heard them chirping when I got home so I cleaned out the feeders and added fresh nectar. A couple of them have been fighting all afternoon eventhough I put a feeder at each end of my porch.

One seems to have learned that if it flies under my back porch it is more protected from the strong winds. I added some wire stakes and a couple of pvs pipes to my potted plants so it will have a place to perch.

Here's a few photos. This one is of a hummie perched on a trellis that I have somewhat under a tree. You can see the sheets of rain coming down at about a 45 degree angle.

~ Cat