Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Rocky Mountain Gardening: Help my hill, 1 by KathyCoRanch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright KathyCoRanch

In reply to: Help my hill

Forum: Rocky Mountain Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Help my hill
KathyCoRanch wrote:
Here is an area that was a total eyesore when I got here- and of course this is one of those views anyone sees when they drive up to the house and walk to the front door. Nothing I can do about the propane tank, but I could fix up the hill behind. It was all eroding and most of the soil was under the tank. There where large clumps of grass and severely eroded areas between.Oh- and rocks, rocks, and more rocks of all sizes. Every time a horse walked up this area (which was every day) more soil came down. I have decided it is going to be an annual type garden - with it's amphitheatre shape it should be cool in a few years. I threw out cosmos seed and it is all coming up- but after my baby horse ran through it while tearing around the other night I stated placing large rocks around the edge. I also had to take out all the grass clumps, because I can't keep the horses out if there is grass in there. But your hill can have wonderful native grasses and flowers all together. Note the rock ledges creating planting areas. I have purposely let these be random, as it fills in it should be really nice. Some of those pockets of planting were made by a horse print:))

Kathy