Northeast Gardening: STARTING THOSE LITTLE ANNUAL FLOWER SEED, 1 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: STARTING THOSE LITTLE ANNUAL FLOWER SEED

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of STARTING THOSE LITTLE ANNUAL FLOWER SEED
wrote:
I am somewhat a proffesional grower as I have a GH but I have not done many flowers. I will talk just seeds.

1st - you need space, light - either direct from outdoors or growing lights and heat.

2nd supplies - seed starter mix what ever you prefer ( I use Professional Micro Mix Seed & Plug Starter) Trays - You can use plastic seed trays or tin baking pans, pots or what ever you can get your hands on cheap. You can saran or cling wrap the tops to keep the moisture in if you so desire. You need some type of pots to move them up after the seedlings get started. Then of course planting soil, water and fertilizer.

3rd - you need seeds

I have learned that the tiny seeds such as poppies, canterbury bells etc the ones that are so small take a while to grow. I would allow at least 3 months for a plant to be planted in the ground. Marigolds is an easy grow as the seeds are bigger. They dont need 3 months so it depends on the plant.

As far as starting TINY seeds it depends on your patience and how many seeds you have. I have taken a toothpick dunked it in water and placed tiny seeds 1 by 1 by one in straight little rows. I have gone as far as counting them as I put them in. So an hour later I have planted one package. I have had several packages of seeds took them in my hand and throw them in. Some people will use a salt shaker or make some with tiny holes and sprinkle them.

I am fortunate as I have kitchen windows that face south and I start a bunch of seeds before they are moved to the Green House. If I did not have a GH I would be basically screwed for space. Seed trays can hold a ton of seedlings.

I transplant into peat pots as they go to the GH. I would be leary in the house with peat pots especially bigger ones. I would go plastic. They need less water.

First pic is in my kitchen in April. Mostly veggies but 2 trays of flowers. The 2nd pic. the ones with the covers are seeding and the rest are flowers mostly in 3" pots in the GH. With out measureing I would guess the benches are 12' by 4'

I have never used grow lights, so I am positive that some people have setups for that method.