Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Rural Gardening: Looking for info. on Peahens & cocks, 1 by PeaFowlAnjL

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright PeaFowlAnjL

In reply to: Looking for info. on Peahens & cocks

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Looking for info. on Peahens & cocks
PeaFowlAnjL wrote:
That's great Sonita! I would look for a breeding male, about 5 years or older for the peahen. Then you could breed them yourselves. Males are generally ready to mate in their 5th year if I remember correctly. Maybe even pick him up later.

I got my first breeding pair at the feed store for $50 six years ago (someone had too many & couldn't house them anymore). LUCK! I incubated at first, then last year let mama hatch her own. Want her to again this year; but it seems something got her eggs. I have seen them at auctions in my area a few times, once the whole family hen, cock & chick!

Yes, they fly quite well. You want them to if you are free ranging. That way they can fly away from predators to safety. Also, my closest neighbor is about 10 acres. They don't even know I have any animals (fir trees help I think). The MEOW or HEY AL is what I think I here. I do not think it too loud & love talking with him! Close neighbors would be the only complainers. One friend of mine was force to get rid of hers, the city moved to her.......go figure!

Here is my current family; hen -- 'Precious'; newest chick in front -- 'little one'; cock -- 'Jem'; and older sis hiding in back -- 'Princess'. Indian Blue's & somehow cameo's? Hard to get them all in same picture & out of shaded spots LOL