Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: Testing Striped Panther and some new trumpets..., 1 by mariava7

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mariava7

In reply to: Testing Striped Panther and some new trumpets...

Forum: Amaryllis and Hippeastrums

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Testing Striped Panther and some new trumpets...
mariava7 wrote:
Hey Andi...what have I got to lose? All pollination attempts have or are failing anyway. And the flowers are wilting and rotting. So might as well give this a try, right? If it succeeds, I'd be very thankful for it. If it still fails, the test has given me/us info that could be helpful in the future (I hope). Seek and you shall find. :-)

Ann... I was thinking about you this afternoon. It was almost 90s today. About that lesser pollination success during warmer temps. Have you considered that warmer temps. bring in fungus and causes flower wilt. As what's happening to my flowers now. The flowers would open up beautifully for 2-3 days. Then the petal edges would look like it's starting to dry/wilt. You would think that it's just the flower's normal wilting stage due to hot temp. But it's not for you can see that the flower has not reach that stage yet for the style has not even curved upward, still very straight. Eventually the whole flower( petals, style and stigma) will wilt and become mushy before it dries out. Once the fungus settles in the flowers, the pollination would fail. Pink Impression II just lost all its flowers to wilt. And of course all the pollination failed.

Gilmar was starting to have "The Wilt". I did the very same thing I did with SP. As I was cutting off the petals of the already pollinated flowers, I noticed this grayish color in it like molds already. :-( I still have a few clean unpollinated stigmas. They will be pollinated tonight if they are ready.

Gilmar a few days ago...